Probate & Estate AdministrationProtecting Your Family & Legacy
At Estate Law Partners, LLC in Rockford, we are committed to using our years of experience and knowledge of the law to help clients resolve all probate and estate administration matters. We proudly represent personal representatives and executors of estates, and we are familiar with the different legal issues you will have to contend with following the death of a loved one.
How Our Probate Lawyers Can Help You
Our legal team provides clients with a comprehensive Probate Settlement System so that they can take control of the probate and estate administration process. The Probate Settlement System we offer at our firm includes:
- Paperwork Preparation - We take care of all the necessary paperwork for personal representatives and executors, including filling out documents and filing them in the right probate court.
- Court Appearances - We can appear for all probate hearings and resolve any disputes or issues that arise during those hearings.
- Settling Estate Expenses - We can handle all of the financial aspects of probate, including paying bills from the estate account, taking care of estate taxes, and other expenses of the estate.
- Regular Updates - We provide regular reports to the personal representative/executor so you can remain informed on what is happening at every step.
- Financial Inventory - We organize, appraise, and account for every penny that is owed to the loved one's estate.
Estate Law Partners, LLC focus our efforts solely on planning and administering estates, so you can trust that we are capable of delivering top-notch legal representation when you need us most. Our compassionate attorneys are here to listen to your concerns and answer your questions.
Probate with a Will vs Without a Will
If there is a Will for the estate, the Executor named in the Will handles the probate process and will resolve aspects of the estate according to the Will's instructions. This can include distributing assets to the designated beneficiaries and transferring the care of minor children to the designated guardians.
If there is no Will, the estate will be probated according to state law. Typically, assets will be distributed to an immediate relative, such as children or parents. The custody of minor children may end up with the surviving natural parent or the court may appoint a guardian.
Is Probate Required for Every Estate?
Probate is not required for every estate. In Illinois, probate is required for estates with over $100,000 in assets or if there is real estate involved. Individuals may be able to avoid probate by creating an organized estate plan that makes probate unnecessary, such as placing assets into a trust.
How Long Will the Probate Process Take?
In Illinois, the average probate case takes about 9 months to complete, but can be completed within 6 months. However, the process can take much longer if there are disputes that arise or other complexities that can further delay a case. Some cases can take years to complete if parties contest a will and the case requires litigation.
How Much Does Probate Cost?
The cost of probate will vary greatly depending on many factors, such as the types of assets involved, potential creditor claims, court fees, attorney's fees, administrative expenses, etc. On average, the cost of probate in Illinois can range from $4,000 to $6,000 for a simple estate, but the cost can be higher when complications arise.
Complete Guidance Through the Probate Process
If you are facing a probate with or without a will, contact our probate attorneys for personalized guidance. We can handle all the complex details while keeping you informed throughout the process.
- Understanding The Basics Of Estate Planning PDF
- How Can I Upgrade My Estate Plan to Avoid Probate?
- What Does a Probate Attorney Really Do?
- Things to Know About the Probate Process In Illinois
- I am Administering an Estate: Do I Need to Hire a Probate Attorney?
If you need an attorney who can bring simplicity, order, and control to the probate process, call us at (815) 335-9950 to schedule your free consultation.
“[Matt] was very helpful...”- Troy
“The partners very knowledgeable and you can tell they enjoy what they do. The entire staff I'd very helpful and pleasant to work with.”- Maggie
“[Matt] was very engaging and rephrased any questions we didn't udnerstand.”- Steven
“Matt Suing is a great attorney...”- Michael
“They explain the process in terms that are easily understandable and always have your best interests in mind.”- Barbara